Many seniors feel pain stiffness and loss of mobility as inevitable symptoms of getting older. As we age we often feel that it is impossible to treat stiffness arthritic pain and swelling, back hip, neck and shoulder pain and that we should just put up with it.
Osteopathy's hands on treatment is particularly suitable for the older person and their physical difficulties and may help problems such as:
- Stiffness and immobility.
- Sciatica and nerve referral to the arms and hands.
- Weakness in one leg, arm or hand.
- Difficulty with daily tasks, walking and driving.
- Pain in the neck, back, hips, knees ankles shoulders.
- Headaches and sleeping problems.
- Digestive disorders, reflux constipation and bloating.
- Problems after surgery.
The body is assessed in each visit for walking and movement of all areas and any areas of tightness and restriction can be treated using soft tissue and gentle articulation techniques.
For those suffering from arthritis gentle osteopathic techniques may help relieve pain and aching and improve local circulation.
Osteopaths have subtle cranial, visceral and neural techniques that are suitable for those who are very frail. This allows us to treat very elderly people and help them where other modalities cannot.
Improving movement can help seniors maintain independence and continue to participate in social and physical activities which leads to happiness and a better quality of life.